May 29, 2013

love makes the world go 'round

Lordy mercy, I've been absent from this place for far too long! Life has been busy the past couple of months, most notably because of my mom's time spent in the hospital. What started with a trip to the ER on April 12, after three weeks of being in bed at home, still has her in the hospital today and she'll probably be there for another month or so. It's so bizarre how the human body works and how one things leads to another to another... but that's not what this post is about. :)

This post is about KINDNESS. About how a simple act can rock you to your core. During one particular week of REALLY tough times in the hospital for my mom, including such extreme confusion from her that I had only ever seen the like of it when my grandma was passing from cancer, Heather and I got home late one night and there was a package in the mail. I opened it and this is what I found:


This stunning patchwork pillow (and some fun fabric) made for me by the equally beautiful Amanda from A Crafty Fox (click here to visit her Etsy shop, westwood acres). When I opened that package last month, emotion overwhelmed me in a way I could not control. I just stood and sobbed as Heather held me... after a day when my mom didn't know who she was, when she was in such extreme pain that the bedsheets hurt her body... I was blessed with a gift made with no other purpose but to comfort a friend during a trying time.


Amanda's quiet kindness and care filled my heart with so much love and appreciation for family, friends and community that night and continues to do so today. I am so blessed to be a part of this lovely community of crafters; men and women who lift each other up, encourage each other and laugh with each other. There just aren't words.

Thank you, Amanda, from the bottom of my heart; you blessed my socks off. :)

xo, Kara

2 comments:

  1. Freaking love our community. And you! And Amanda! Love wins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me tear up. Isn't it amazing what just one act can do to fill us with love and hope and comfort. During a difficult time in our family one of our neighbors brought us over a full dinner. It was such a simple thing but it's hard to express the relief and release and break from worry and the appreciation it brought to our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

I usually respond to inquiries or funny bits via email, so please make sure your address is available in your profile.