May 22, 2009

darn you, google.com!

I love to read. It actually borders on adoration, the way I feel about a good book. I love the way reading another's thoughts makes you question your own reality & how you can grow, when you let yourself, from that. A while ago I even sold about 85% of my books to 1/2 Priced Books because I felt like I was keeping them on the shelf in a prideful way. I'm still struggling through that choice...le sigh.

The reading group I belong to meets once every other month to discuss a book we've read. Next month, we're getting together to discuss "Loving Frank" by Nancy Horan which, for the most part, fictionalizes the love affair of Frank Lloyd Wright & Mamah Chaney in the early 20th century. WELL, I am on page 146 & I just couldn't handle it any more- I HAD to know what was real in the book & what wasn't! It was driving me batty! So, against my better judgement I googled (yes, it's a verb) their two names & found out something horrible!

********************SPOILER ALERT********************
Book Club peeps- STOP READING HERE!!! GO TO SOMEONE ELSE'S BLOG RIGHT NOW!!!











5 years into their love affair, Mamah, her two children & five others were murdered at the home she & Frank shared! WHAT?! I was already having a very hard time getting through the book because of the audultry but now MURDER?! Ugh...too much to handle. I need chocolate. And a Mitford Series novel.
Moral of the post- when reading a book, just read it for crying out loud. Kick it old school for once. You'll thank me in the end.

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever read The Time Traveler's Wife? If you haven't, you must. I demand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have! I read it a couple of years back & LOVED it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started Loving Frank and hated it - only ONE letter in the whole book was real - all the other crap is that "historical fiction". The author spent 2 years researching this and this is the best she came up with... blech...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew that aspect of the book going into it so I'm ok w/ that. I am reading where Frank & Mamah are living in Italy & I'm getting a little mad at both of them... What letter was real in the book? Have you read "The Red Tent"? If not, I HIGHLY recommend it! It's historical fiction as well but is SUCH a good read!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

I usually respond to inquiries or funny bits via email, so please make sure your address is available in your profile.